Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Elton John and the internet...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Elton John and the internet...

    http://www.hollywoodrag.com/index.ph...net_shut_down/


    Elton John Wants Internet Shut Down


    Elton John wants the internet shut down because it is destroying music.

    The 'Candle in the Wind' singer believes cyberspace is stifling creativity
    and lowering the standards of popular music.

    He told Britain's The Sun newspaper: "The internet has stopped people from
    going out and being with each other from creating stuff.

    "Instead people sit at home and make their own records, which doesn't bode
    well for long-term artistic vision.

    "Hopefully the next movement in music will tear down the internet. It would
    be great to see the internet shut down for five years and see what sort of
    art is produced over that span. I'm sure, as far as music goes, it would be
    much more interesting than it is today."

    Despite describing himself as a "technophobe", Elton has previously used the
    internet to his own advantage.

    His 60th birthday concert at New York's Madison Square Garden in March this
    year was streamed live over the web.

    Elton has also made his entire back catalogue available for digital
    download.

    However, he remains convinced the internet is responsible for slipping
    standards in the music world.

    He said: "In the early 70s there were at least ten albums released every
    week that were fantastic. Now you're lucky to find ten albums a year of that
    quality."
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    "He told Britain's The Sun newspaper: "The internet has stopped people from
    going out and being with each other from creating stuff."

    I agree with that...but shutting down the internet? apparently [richard] isn't the only thing elton is smoking these days.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Widespread_Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    It's not going to happen, but he makes a valid point. Today's music is terrible in comparison to the 1960's and 1970's. Not sure if the internet deserves a majority of the blame. I would say it's more on the record industries since they are constantly searching for mainstream, pop albums that will sell a lot of records, therefore, taking creative control away from the artists.
    The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member yankeebaseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    Mainstream. lol
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    I agree with widespread panic on this one.

    Honest to God there are very very few bands today I will listen too. I honestly think most decent music died in the early 90s, about the same time the internet got big.

    I hate all these teeny booper bands, and everything they represent. Look at Avril Lavene (sp?) for example. She started out as a country singer, couldnt make it so the industry made her this image that she trys to portray. I mean the girl is in her early 20s, has millions of dollars, and is married what does she have to be depressed about? Country music is circling the drain as well. It is turning more and more pop every day. Esp since it is considered "fashionable" to wear John Deere clothes now. Rap and Hip/hop are dying too (not fast enough but still).

    Honestly the last few cds I have bought were from the 70s, bought a Steve Miller cd a few nights ago, before that it was the Eagles, CCR, and Floyd.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    I must just be retarded but I don't have a problem with music today, heck, I like it more than ever. Like I said, it must just be me.

    As far as Elton John goes, keep gobbling the [richard] that seems to be working for ya. Glad I never liked any of his music.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    Some of John's songs were pretty good, but I can't see him getting a WHOLE lot of folks to the studio.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member yankeebaseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    I had a conversation with some people about music not long ago, my personal opinion is the content and reason for music has evaporated. My biggest example is 20 on 20 on XM, in the summer we at the pool often leave it on there because the kids like it and what not, but every year the songs are different. I mean I understand its a top 20 countdown so to speak, but of the 20 artists, 15-18 will never be heard from again. My favorites on the XM list are obviously Lucy, Squizz and XLM. But, my point is much of the "rap" is not content driven, it is more whats hot now, there is no story. Im not a expert on rap, but personally what little I do like, is not represented often today. There is no angst in the rock anymore, even favorite bands like Pearl Jam have played themslves out with the anti-war speech, no one like the war, no one likes Bush, and no one likes Green Day except kids who think Bush is Green Days biggest source of creation, mention Kerplunk to most of those kids and they look at you like you have lost your mind. Bands come and go, very few have an ability to sustain, Id venture to say Fall Out Boy will not be making records 10 years from now yet if they are, they will still be terrible. Personally, I was hoping for a new wave of music to arise, yet its being recycled. Its pop and thats what sells, there is artists who are for the most part unheard, those are the ones who are the ones with substance. In different generes as well, but the internet or digital music hasnt been the problem, the artists have been. Akon and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is not gonna cut it.
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    I can't stand fall out boy. And as far as elton goes, I actually like his music. How can you not like Tiny Dancer?

    I agree with rap, if your gonna be a rapper be prepared to have a career that spans all of 2 years (there are exceptions jay z), but for the most part rap is crap. 50 cent is the equivalent to kenny chesney as far as selling out goes.

    A big reason most rappers cant make it is they feel they gotta take care of all of there "boys". ala MC Hammer.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Elton John and the internet...

    I guess I must just be easily entertained [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] because I like Fall Out Boy and music of that nature. Matter of fact I like all types of music except Country. Oh well, I guess everybodys different.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •